On a daily basis we are exposed to hundreds of different toxins. They are found in the air we breathe, water we drink, food we eat, and even the different products we expose our skin to. Our body has natural fighting systems to clear out these toxins such as our lymphatic system and liver. However, our lifestyle choices can determine how efficient these systems work. Although detoxification is a naturally occurring process, there are many steps you can take to raise the level of efficiency. Supporting your daily detoxification processes is essential to prevent disease and feel your best!
Signs you are overly toxic
- Unclear head, brain fog, headaches
- Acne, rashes or hives
- Weak immune system
- Sensitivity to smells
- Frequent bloating
- Chronic aches and pains
- Constipation (should ideally have a bowel movement daily)
- Body odor
- Bad breath
- Fatigue and abnormal lack of energy
- Strong addiction to sweets
- Sallow, aging skin
If more than 3 of these apply to you, your detoxification systems could likely use some extra support. Keep reading to learn how to enhance these systems to improve your health.
take care of your liver
Weighing at about 3 pounds, the liver is your primary detoxification organ. It filters approximately 1 quart of blood per minute, removing pesticides, food additives, preservatives, and any other chemical you may unknowingly (or knowingly!?) come in contact with. If the liver becomes overloaded by toxicity or mistreated with alcoholism, for example, it becomes dysfunctional and cannot perform these tasks. Luckily, the liver has the amazing ability to rebuild and regenerate, so even if it was abused in the past, there are many ways to optimize your lifestyle to help restore it to its initial vitality.
How to supercharge your detoxification systems
- Start your day drinking hot water with lemon. The acidity of the lemon stimulates gastric acid secretions from the pancreas and bile flow from the gall bladder and liver. This supports the natural removal of toxins from the liver and fat cells to help excrete them safely.
- Consume plenty of fiber. Eating raw vegetables, salads, and fruit daily will help induce proper elimination by decreasing the transit time of food waste through your GI tract. Whole grains such as rice, oats and quinoa help soften stool and increase absorption of toxins into it. Check out this post to see if your current fiber intake is optimal!
- Eat more grapefruit. Grapefruit is high in vitamin C and antioxidants and can help your liver flush out toxins.
- Add a detox supplement to your routine. The one I take was developed by a naturopathic doctor with the goal of optimizing every organ involved in detoxification to safely eliminate toxic residues. It contains organic herbs such as licorice, fermented red clover and parsley to support cell purification of both water and fat soluble toxins. It is organic, contains no preservatives or artificial fluff. In just TWO WEEKS of taking it, it has not only improved my sleep, but ELIMINATED my COVID/cancelled wedding anxiety (like what?!). Try it for yourself here!
- Avoid fried foods. Cooking at high temperatures can cause oils to go rancid, raising the burden on your liver. These oils are also more difficult to digest and cause inflammation in the body. It is best to cook with coconut or avocado oil, which can withstand high temperatures.
- Eat cruciferous vegetables daily (broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage). These contain glucosinolates, which help to increase digestive enzymes that flush out toxins from the body. They also contain sulforaphane, a powerful chemical shown to induce activity of glutathione, an antioxidant required for the second phase of detoxification.
- Go organic. Select organically grown produce when possible to reduce your consumption of herbicide and pesticide residues. The “cleaner” you eat, the less toxic burden there will be on your body, and the better your body will be able detoxify. If organic is not possible, use a fruit and vegetable wash (I use this one) and wash thoroughly. Refer to this post to learn more about buying organic.
- Eat probiotic rich foods. Optimal digestion is key for detoxification. Our gastrointestinal tract is made up of both good and bad bacteria. Foods such as sauerkraut, raw yogurt, kombucha, kimchi, tempeh, and kefir contain probiotics (good bacteria), which help make sure your bad bacteria stay in check. This way the good guys can help break down food and keep things moving as they should. This post will tell you all about probiotics and their benefits!
Interested in improving your detoxification systems? Try my FREE 3 Day Reset and Restore Detox to receive recipes, healthy habits, and motivational tips to improve your health and start feeling your best today!